A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

The Captain's Daughter (London Beginnings #1) - Jennifer Delamere

This is the first book in the series.  The second one is called The Heart's Appeal.  The series follows the lives of three sisters who are orphans.  Their mother died, and their father disappeared at sea.  Thus, The Captain's Daughter.  I suspect there will also be a third one to tell the story of the third sister, Cara.

Rosalyn is on the run.  Put in an impossible position by her employer, she rushes off and ends up in London.  She initially plans on heading to her sister's home, but a bad decision takes her position from bad to worse.  Eventually, she ends up on the doorstep of a theater and gets herself a job.

Nate is an army man, and he's only filling in at the theater until his brother's broken leg heals.  He's determined to put all thoughts of women far from his mind and focus on getting back to the army.  He feels guilty and plans to make up for his faults by going back to India.  His fascination with Rosalyn seems doomed to fail.  She's enamored with the bright lights of the stage, and he won't stray from his plan to head back to India.

This is the first book I've read by this author, and I was impressed with her characters and story.  I thought Rosalyn a little too innocent at times, considering what she went through when she first arrived in London, but overall, it was a light read that I enjoyed.  I look forward to reading about Julia, Rosalyn's sister, in the next book.  She appears in this one, but I think overall it's going to be safe to read them alone/out of order without too much trouble.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment