A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Hope Reborn (Texas Romance #3) - Caryl McAdoo

I have to admit, I really have no idea why I picked this up.  I've only read one other book by this author, At Liberty to Love, and I didn't really like it that much.  Apparently I didn't look at that review before picking this up. 

May is a writer.  She's on her way to Texas for some research and also to try and find the father of her close friend, Chester.  When she gets to Texas, she finds a fan and also the girl's father.  The man has a "zoo" of kids, and he's a widower.  May starts falling for him, and Henry thinks she's pretty attractive.  May is an agnostic and Henry is a Christian, so I'm sure that would've been a problem later on.  These two are older than you'd think.  If the woman on the cover is 41, (like May), she looks amazing!

I got to about 30% and just gave up.  The entire beginning didn't seem relevant to the story, and it went on forever.  The writing style was distracting, I had to go back and re-read sections just to figure out what the author was trying to say.  Sometimes I still didn't understand.

The relationships in the house were also confusing.  With so many people and such unusual relationships, I was lost.  Also, May's whole attitude toward the topic of children was just weird.  At one point, May said she would only give her heart to a man for one thing: her own baby.  She claims she doesn't need a man for anything, "except for making babies."  Strange way to say that...She doesn't really consider that she could be a mother to the children already there.  Maybe she does later on, but from what I read, she was focused on her own baby.

I usually post my reviews on Amazon, but I won't do that with this one.  It's my own fault for picking this up, and maybe it got better later on.  I don't think it's fair to the author to post a negative review on a book I knew I probably wouldn't like and didn't finish.  Major pass for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment