A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Then Came You (Bradford Sisters novella) - Becky Wade

This is a novella that tells the story of the parents of the Bradford Sisters.  I really don't like the cover, but when I saw that it was written completely through correspondence, it appealed to my genealogy side.  I've read oodles of cards and letters my ancestors wrote. I even typed up the love letters my great-grandparents exchanged before they got married.

We start out with Garner and his depressing life.  The woman he loves has left him with a new baby.  He's not sure what to do or how to move forward, and horrible things keep happening while he tries to heal.  We're also reading about Kathleen, a recent graduate who wants to move away from Washington state and work her way through the ranks at Estee Lauder in New York.  Instead, she ends up at Garner's family company working in Customer Service.

I really enjoyed the unique writing style the author used.  It's written completely in journal entries, cards, phone conversations/messages.  I was afraid it would leave the characters flat, but it was done well.  The journal entries of Garner and unsent letters from Kathleen were great ways the author added depth to the characters.

The first book in the series, True to You, is about Nora, Kathleen and Garner's daughter. It's due out May 2.  Good Novella!




No comments:

Post a Comment