A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Letters from Grace (Love and War #1) - Rachel Muller

This is the first book in the series.  There are two more that follow this one: Maggie's Mission (Maggie is a prominent character in this book), and Phillip's War.

Grace has been in mourning for two years.  Her fiance, Jack, was killed at Pearl Harbor, and she's vowed to never risk her heart again for a soldier.  When her friends, Danny and Maggie, finally get her to attend a dance, she meets a handsome soldier, Luke.  Before he leaves for duty, he asks Grace to write to him, since he has no family left, and she agrees. Soon after his departure, Grace meets a doctor, William.  He offers her safety and a normal future, but can she love him?  Will Grace choose love or safety?  Is Luke destined to remain alone?

Scattered within Luke and Grace's story is Maggie and Danny's story.  Maggie is a nurse trying to do her part, and Danny is training to be a parachute jumper.  His job is dangerous, but he wants to get back to the woman he loves.

It's not all sunshine and roses, this is war, after all.  I didn't expect it to be, and I thought that particular part of the story was well written.  The story itself seemed to be overly sappy at times, and overly preachy in others, but that didn't bother me much.

I feel like the author did a spell check, but didn't necessarily pay too much attention to the grammar.  There were a noticeable number of mistakes, and I feel if the author had used an editor, I wouldn't have read things like "none-o-clock train." "sooth her broken heart," and "coo-coo clock."  I was distracted and a little annoyed by these mistakes, but they didn't really affect my overall enjoyment of the story.  I actually enjoyed it...until I got to the end.

I don't give spoilers, but at a certain point (around 92%), I literally put the book down and said, "WHAT!?"  Both women seem so changeable at the end that my opinion of the story overall went from "this is a good book" to disliking both female characters.  I was all set to read the next book until I got to the end.  For me, it changed everything.  I'm saddened to say it, but this one's a pass.


No comments:

Post a Comment