A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Five Children and It - Edith Nesbit

When I was looking for my classic for my 2017 reading challenge, I saw this book in the list.  I'd never heard of it, and when I looked it up, the idea of the story interested me.

This is the story of four children and their baby brother, nicknamed 'Lamb'.  The children are exploring the area around their new home when they come across a Sand Fairy.  This isn't an ordinary fairy, it will grant the children one wish a day.  The wishes will only last till sundown, but that turns out to be the best part.

I really enjoyed this book!  While there were times it was apparent this was written a long time ago, the essence of the story remains intact.  I found it amusing and was smiling more than once as I read how none of the wishes went quite as the children intended.

There are two sequels to this book, The Phoenix and the Carpet, and The Story of the Amulet.  I'll probably be reading them later this year.  If I had to narrow down an ideal age range, I would say 10-13, because any younger and they may not be able to keep up with the older language.  Regardless, this adult had a great time reading it.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment