A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, June 11, 2022

Surgeon at Arms - Lipmann Kessel

This is the story of a surgeon who found himself on the wrong side of the lines. After helping others escape, he himself escaped the Germans. After that, he spent time in different locations and made a few attempts to cross back to the Allied side of the lines.

I was struck by the mention of a review that said, "One is becoming as bored of these escape stories as of their tellers, beamish boys galumphing their way home through a tangle of generous peasants, Fascist spies and boastful partisans." I'm not sure why anyone would say something like that. Maybe they were forced to read it and didn't appreciate that? I'm a firm believer that every life has a story. Maybe it isn't interesting to everyone, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be told.

I enjoyed this book. It dealt with the frustration and mental strain of being cooped up and wanting to get back to your own side of the war. It doesn't glorify war, in fact, in the postscript, the author calls war beastly and praises peaceful construction. The author doesn't gloss over his weaknesses or make himself out to be a hero. As he himself said, it was just ordinary people doing extraordinary things to combat evil. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment