A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Payment Deferred - C.S. Forester

I felt it was time for a good, old-fashioned crime novel. 

Mr. Marble is having money troubles. His wife, Annie, doesn't seem to be able to control her spending, but Marble himself doesn't necessarily deny himself at times either. When an unknown nephew shows up on his doorstep, Marble sees an opportunity. Should he ask for a loan? The young man seems to have a bit of money, but he also seems to be catching on that his uncle is acting a bit strange. A shared drink later, and the nephew is dead, his money now in Marble's pocket.

What follows is the psychological deterioration of Marble. He can't seem to stop staring at the place where the body lay, but it also doesn't stop him from spending the money either. His strange behavior continues to escalate until the end of the book.

I found this to be an interesting book. You're just waiting for someone to notice something and find him out. You're getting paranoid with him, and it's quite a ride. I felt bad for the rest of his family. I won't say why, but I really did. The final sentence of the book made me smile because it just struck me funny. It wasn't too long, and I really enjoyed it. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment