I've read the first book in this series, The Secret of Chimneys, and I enjoyed it. I wasn't sure how great Battle was at the end of that one, so I was interested to give him another chance.
A group of friends are visiting the Coote family when a prank goes wrong. One of them is found dead, but it isn't until Lady Eileen, known as Bundle, almost hits another of the friends that there seems to be a pattern. There is a secret society and national secrets mixed up in it, and Bundle is on the case.
And it really is Bundle most of the way through. Battle shows up here and there, but he keeps information to himself for the most part, and we don't get into his mind at all. He pops up at explanation time to clarify some things for Bundle, but it's after she's done all the leg work.
I did like this book. I just don't understand why it has to be a Superintendent Battle book. Yes, Bundle knew him from the first mystery, but other than that, it could have been any police inspector. It's not a big deal, and it didn't affect my enjoyment of the book. I'm giving it a Good Book! review, but don't expect to see Superintendent Battle flex his mystery-solving muscles.

No comments:
Post a Comment