A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

The Castle of Otranto - Horace Walpole

This book is considered by many to be the first gothic novel. The best part? It was published in 1764!

Manfred is waiting for his son to show up and be married to Isabella. When his son is killed, everything starts going wrong. He fears the prophecy that his name will disappear. His solution is to divorce his current wife and marry his son's fiancé. She doesn't want that to happen and flees. I don't want to say too much about the plot. I don't want to spoil it. But I will say that since it's a gothic novel, the happily ever after isn't an element.

This book isn't super long, but it was pretty good. Even though it was written over 200 years ago, I didn't have any problems reading it. Was there a bit of old English in there? Yes, but it wasn't that hard to understand what was going on. I liked it and was glad I finally got the chance to read it. Good Book!





















No comments:

Post a Comment