A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, September 14, 2023

The Dark Night of the Soul - Saint John of the Cross

I was talking with one of my friends lately, and we were discussing some philosophical matters. He mentioned there was a term for what I was going through called "the dark night of the soul." I hadn't really heard that phrase, but it sounded fairly accurate. With a bit of research, I found a poem/book written in the second half of the 1500s. There is also a contemporary meaning of a crisis of faith.

The book is a detailed explanation of what the author was trying to explain with the poem. It seemed like he was speaking as if he knew what God's intentions were with trials, and that rubbed me the wrong way. For instance, he says that God leads people into the dark night. Ok, so by that logic, He is making the things to create the night happen, correct? Which in my case means He caused people to die to push me into a dark night. That would mean God didn't consider the other person's life when pushing me into a dark night. Well, that doesn't make sense to me. 

That was just one of the issues I had with the book. The rambling got old after a bit. I've never been much of a fan of poetry to begin with, and if I do, it's something that rhymes. Dr. Seuss comes to mind. Just because it rhymes, and it's fun. I think the main point I took away from this book was if you have to write this much of an explanation for your poem, you should've written something else instead. When my friend was telling me about the dark night, I'm pretty sure he was talking about the contemporary definition. PASS



No comments:

Post a Comment