A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, September 25, 2023

The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe #1) - Raymond Chandler

This book was written in 1939 and is labeled as a hardboiled crime novel. It's my first time reading this author.

Philip Marlowe is a private detective who is hired to look into some blackmail. What follows is a trail of cover-ups and murders. It gets pretty complicated, and I don't want to say anything that would be a spoiler.

The book isn't longer than it needs to be, and it's an easy read. There were times when I had to pay a bit more attention so I didn't miss anything, and the language got a bit much at times. Example: "The General spoke again, slowly, using his strength as carefully as an out-of-work show-girl uses her last good pair of stockings."

Overall, this was a pretty good book, and I enjoyed it. Marlowe himself is a bit of a mystery. He wasn't what I expected personality-wise, and I wouldn't mind reading more of him. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment