A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, June 19, 2023

From Vienna to Tel Aviv, a long journey: Memoirs of Berthe Moritz - Francis Moritz

I picked this book up a while back when it was free.

Berthe was living in Austria when the Germans became a problem for the Jewish people. She ended up going through a lot and spending much of the war in Switzerland. Afterward, she lived in Israel.

This book is written in a conversational tone. It wouldn't win any literary awards, and it shouldn't have to. As someone who has spent a good chunk of their life dabbling with their genealogy, stories like this need to be written down. Berthe wasn't a famous person, but that doesn't mean her life isn't interesting.

I may be a bit biased. I believe everyone has something that makes them special. Berthe's memoirs skim over the worst of the pain in her life, but I'm not bringing that up as a criticism. It's just the way it's written.

There is a lot of documentation and pictures included in this book, and I enjoyed those. The book itself is only a little over 100 pages, so it won't take up a lot of your time, but I thought it was well worth the read. If I had one issue, it was that since I'm not Jewish I wasn't familiar with some of the customs and holidays mentioned. Also, Hebrew is used a few times, and I'm not sure what those entries said. Overall, I enjoyed this book and appreciate the members of Berthe's family making it available for people outside their circle to read. Good Book!




No comments:

Post a Comment