A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Bella Donna - Robert Hichens

I watched the movie Temptation (1946) and wanted to see if I liked the book any better than the movie. Spoiler: No.

I didn't make it very far, so I'm not going to say much about the plot. A man who sees the best in people falls in love with a woman who has quite the reputation. His friend, a doctor, has been visited by this woman where she revealed things about herself, but he can't say anything due to doctor/patient privilege.

I put this one down after about 10%. It seemed like the author was getting paid by the word. For example, the woman goes to the doctor, and they have this confusing conversation where she repeats herself over and over. The doctor keeps giving her medical answers, and she isn't satisfied with that. I know she had an ulterior motive for being there, but it got tedious after a bit. I just have too many other books to read to waste my time on things like this. And yes, the woman was just as smug and irritating in the 10% I read as she was in the movie. It's a pass for me.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment