A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, April 20, 2023

Violette: The Missions of SOE Agent Violette Szabó - Tania Szabó

Violette was in the SOE. She was good at what she did and took great risks doing it. This book is her daughter's tribute to a mother who gave everything to bring a better world to her daughter and everyone else.

I'm a bit torn on this book. In some ways, it was very interesting to read. In others, it was a bit unorganized and messy. Sometimes the author would switch point of view randomly or jump around in time. Also, it bothered me when she would speak in her mother's voice. Maybe she could get the gist of conversations from other people that were with her mother, but she would have no idea what her mother was thinking, especially in those last days.

For some reason, the pictures are after the bibliography. I almost missed them, because my Kindle basically informed me the book was over. Just an FYI. The book would have felt incomplete without at least a few pictures.
 
Overall, I'm going to leave this book in the middle ground. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't one of the better ones I'd read either. I think the switching around of POV really hurt it for me. I appreciate Tania wanting to honor her mother, and I believe she did. She connected with a lot of people who knew her mother, and I admire her for that. But it wasn't the easiest read.



No comments:

Post a Comment