A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Call Mr. Fortune - H.C. Bailey

This is a collection of six stories surrounding the detective skills of a doctor named Reggie Fortune. There's not much more to say. He solves mysteries.

I was reminded of Sherlock Holmes immediately. Reggie had knowledge no one else did, and he seemed to rub people the wrong way by keeping it to himself.

I feel like the majority of the stories were too short. The one that wasn't, the final one, was only explained because a random woman showed up. Another story, I completely missed what happened, but I didn't go back and figure it out. Reggie's character felt a little flat for me as well. All I learned about him was that he has a superior attitude, and he likes muffins. Other than that, he just kind of knows things.

This isn't a bad book, but I wouldn't label it as good either. It fell in that category for me where I was okay reading it, but it won't make a lasting impression on me. I really enjoyed the final story until Reggie wasn't the one to figure out anything regarding the motive. The first story was the most surprising. I wasn't expecting a doctor to let a man die. I won't go into detail, but he was very nonchalant about the entire thing. It was just a strange ride...



No comments:

Post a Comment