A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, May 2, 2022

Code Name Pauline: Memoirs of a WWII Special Agent - Pearl Witherington Cornioley

I love learning about the SOE, so this was an easy pick for me. Side note - reading this book brought home to me how much I love my Kindle Paperwhite. For some reason, I couldn't get this book to download to my Paperwhite after trying multiple ways, so I read it on my old Kindle Fire. Man, the glare bugged me to no end! I'm spoiled, I know.

Pearl was a member of the Special Operations Executive during WWII. Their secret mission was to send civilians behind enemy lines where they would do what they could to "annoy" the Germans. I use the term annoy loosely. They did amazing things like sabotage factories, railways, and report troop and supply locations to the Allies. Pearl was more on the organization side of things, so she doesn't have amazing stories of adventure and danger in here, but this book was written with a purpose in mind. She wanted to inspire young people.

I like the way this was written. The editor starts the chapter with a bit of background, and then gets out of the way. At that point, Pearl takes over and tells her part of the story with only occasional interjections for clarification. Additional notes can be found at the end. One thing I'd like to recommend is that you make sure to read past the conclusion. The interview with both Pearl and Henri is hidden in the back of the book, and it was just as enjoyable to read as the rest of the book. Not sure why it was hidden away in the back.

Overall, this is a good book. It's short, so it doesn't outstay its welcome. Pearl was a character to be sure, and she was definitely an asset to the Allies. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment