A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, January 6, 2022

Roller Coaster World - Kenneth Bulmer

We took our yearly after-Christmas trip down to the used bookstore and I picked up a few new unloved-looking books to try. I went out of my usual mystery aisle and headed into the sci-fi section. There, I found this little beauty.

Doug is tired of being second best. He comes in second as an athlete and eventually changes the track of his life and tries this world's version of astrology. Then he dabbles and fails at making a "movie," All this time, in the background, there are rumors of the life-giving radiation of the planet dying out.

For most of the book, Doug is not a sympathetic character, and I didn't like him. He whines all the time and only cares about his toxic dependent relationship with a married woman. I enjoyed the last 30-40 pages, but then the very end had me scratching my head.

I don't read a lot of sci-fi, so maybe this is normal, but I wish there had been more focus on the unique aspects of the world and the way the cities moved from place to place. Up until the end of the book, it just seemed like the book was about Doug and his job/love issues. It had potential, I just wanted more sci-fi I guess.



No comments:

Post a Comment