A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Beau Geste - Percival Wren

In my own little way, I'm going to call this Susan Travers, episode 2. As I read through her memoir, she mentioned this was one of her favorite books. It was one of the things that sparked her interest in the French Foreign Legion, so I was interested in picking it up. It's in the public domain, so it wasn't hard to find.

I don't want to say much about the plot of this book, but I was hooked from the start. A man is talking to a friend on a train about an encounter he had in the desert. A strange sight in a fort has him wracking his brain for answers to impossible questions. Soon, the story crosses over to a close friend and a mysterious jewel. From there, the story takes a lot of unexpected twists and turns. I LOVE unexpected twists and turns. Especially when they're this well done.

I had no idea until I went to write this review that there had been a few films made from this book. One in 1939 starring Gary Cooper and another in 1966 with Guy Stockwell. I have to say that I'm glad I didn't know about the films before I read the book. For some reason, it felt more like a hidden gem when I was reading it.

This was a real joy to read. I was intrigued from the beginning and had trouble putting it down so I wouldn't strain my eyes. It's not an "everyone makes it out" kind of story, but it makes more sense with what the characters are going through. I mourned for the losses and rejoiced with the victories. I loved this book. It's the way I wish all the books I read lately had been. It was engrossing, and it felt like I was reading another autobiography at times. It made the impossible possible and explained the mystery in such a clever and interesting way. Can't recommend it enough. Great Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment