A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Sunday, September 12, 2021

Lady of Seven Emeralds - Clara Wimberly

So, I went a bit nostalgic and got 3 Zebra Gothics off eBay for a little over $10. Once they got here, I read the backs and picked out one to read. I was intrigued by the summary and the extreme expression on this woman's face.

Rebecca sees Ramon standing on the balcony and immediately falls in love with him. Somehow. She's a teacher at the school for the blind, and after a few days she ends up working at Ramon's house as his personal teacher. As time goes by, she's incapable of figuring out what she thinks. One minute she suspects him of something nefarious, and the next she'll love him forever.

I remembered that I have to suspend my notions of reality with these books, but this one stretched them too far. Rebecca annoyed me to the point where I couldn't wait for her to get kidnapped or for something to happen to her. The "hero" was also disappointing. Ramon openly professes that he's possessive...and she's okay with it! Even finds it endearing! Nope.

Pushing past that, it was hard for me to get invested in this book. Disliking a main character always makes it a bit harder, but when both of them are unlikable in a romance, it's a dud. The author turned the one person I did like into one of the villains, so that was another strike. 

I normally enjoy these as a few hours escape and for the cheesy factor. The damsel in distress usually makes me roll my eyes, but I never see them as a reflection of reality. AT ALL. Never have. So, it usually takes a great deal for me to dislike one of these, but this woman was just too much. Bit of a disappointment.



No comments:

Post a Comment