A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, September 13, 2021

I held the sun in my hands - Erika Jacoby (DTB)

It's a long, convoluted story why I decided to choose and read this book, so I'll skip that part and get to the review. The short version is that I saw a video with the author in it, and I was taken by her composure. When I noticed that she'd written her memoirs, I immediately wanted to order it. 

Erika was only a young girl when the Germans invaded Hungary in 1944. Her life was forever changed as she lived through events most of us can't imagine. She was at different camps including Auschwitz and Plaszow, but somehow made it through with her mother.

What I found most interesting was that liberation happened about halfway through the book. It's an often overlooked question. What happened to the people after the camps were liberated? I'm ashamed to say I'd never thought much about it. I couldn't put the book down as I read Erika's story of survival and what she went through trying to create a life after the war.

I read this book in two days, and I highly recommend it. This book was well written and easy to read. I was a bit nervous because I don't normally like to read nonfiction in general, but this was the best book I've read this year. Great Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment