A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Lady Molly of Scotland Yard - Baroness Orczy

After reading The Scarlet Pimpernel, I wanted to read more from this author. I was particularly drawn to this title since it involved a female detective working with Scotland Yard in the early 1900s. I had to download this one off Google since Gutenberg.org didn't have it available for download. I'm not sure why since it was originally published in 1910. This version had some illustrations, and I included one at the bottom from one of my favorite stories.

Included are 11 mysteries that Lady Molly solves. Most of them are the usual, expected whodunits or "how did they do it?," but I found the final story unique. It was a fitting ending for the book, but I won't spoil it. I'll just say that I really liked it.

The stories are narrated by a Watson-like character named Mary. Once she was Lady Molly's maid, but now she's a valuable assistant. Lady Molly herself could have been another Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple. She's smart, keeps her methods close to her chest and solves the crime when everyone else is left scratching their heads.

I found each story to be engaging and easy to read. They weren't too long, and the only thing that was slightly annoying was when Mary would say things like, "You recall..." because of course I don't. It didn't bother me much. 

I find it interesting what ends up becoming popular. I compared Lady Molly to a few popular detectives that have numerous movies and TV shows to their name, and I think Lady Molly could've easily had one as well. It's a shame more people don't know about this book, it easily earns a Good Book! review from me.

I liked the way Lady Molly solved this one (The Man in the Iverness Cape)


No comments:

Post a Comment