A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, August 14, 2021

Except the Dying (Murdoch Mysteries #1) - Maureen Jennings

I waited forever for this book to drop in price. I love the show, and I wanted to see how alike the characters were. I'm going to stop saying that I don't read the book and watch the show/movie, because I've broken my rule too many times. I was just really curious to see how alike the book would be. By the cover, I expected it would be pretty close. BUT...

This book is nothing like the show. The inspector isn't friends with Murdoch, Crabtree has a family, and Drs. Ogden and Grace are nowhere to be seen. Murdoch himself is different in temperament, and apparently he has a mustache. I would say the main difference is the show is more "clean." The book goes into more detail about the dirty side of Toronto that gets glossed over in the show (prostitution, disease, desperation). There is also some language in the book if that bothers you.

The story itself starts out with a dead woman. Someone is removing her clothing and leaving her frozen body naked in the snow. The dead woman turns out to be a maid in a prominent household, and Murdoch has to sift through all the lies to discover who is behind the death.

I was able to separate the story from the show since the two weren't that similar. The book was pretty good and had me guessing until the end. Still a bit confused about one or two things, but it was an enjoyable read. I'm not sure I would read more of these, but it isn't the author's fault. For this type of book, I have to be in the mood for the melancholy. I definitely would stay away if you're reading it only because you're expecting to get more of the show you love. You'll probably be disappointed.  I'll still give it a Good Book! review.



No comments:

Post a Comment