A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Slumbering (Starlight Chronicles #1) - C.S. Johnson

This is the first book in a 7-book series.  It's also the first book I've read from this author.

Hamilton is a selfish 16-year-old popular kid who thinks he's better than everyone else.  Anyone that gets in his way is immediately thought of as inferior and only worthy of his disdain.  A meteorite hits his town, and his life is changed forever.  Suddenly, people in his town are coming down with strange illnesses and demon attacks are on the rise.  Hamilton gets involved when the girl he likes is in danger, but he eventually learns that there's much more to life than himself.

Other than saving the girl he's interested in a few times, Hamilton isn't a likable character.  In fact, I hated him for the entire book.  I kept reading on, waiting for some kind of growth or change in him, but he seemed to be the same horrible person that he was at the beginning.  Since this is a series, maybe he changes later on, but I'm not really interested in spending any more time on the series.

I enjoyed the writing style, but the story didn't appeal to me at all.  It had potential, but I needed more (any) transformation on the main character's part to care about his story.  Just not for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment