A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

GHOST (John Spector #1) - Wayne Thomas Batson

This is the first in a series.  The second book, called Minister of Fire, is supposed to come out around October 2019 (according to the author's blog post dated December 18, 2018).  It's significant to note that this book is recommended 16+.

Ghost is the name of an uncommon man who avenges injustice.  He carries around a silver case full of supernatural goodies and wages war against the forces of evil.  He comes across a camera of disturbing pictures and knows what his next mission is: stop the Smiling Jack killer.

He doesn't just have to fight against our world but elements of the supernatural as well.  Leads are hard to come by and working with a member of the FBI could threaten his secret identity.

It isn't uncommon for this author to have elements of the supernatural in his books, and it doesn't bother me that it's there.  What bothered me was the "bash-you-over-the-head" preaching in it.  The main character is so fanatically pro-life, it made me uncomfortable.  I feel the same way when Christian books get a little too preachy.  It was just too much.

I've read some of this author's fantasy before and really enjoyed it.  I got about halfway through this one and realized that reading it was more of a chore than enjoyment, and I abandoned it.  This book just wasn't for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment