A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, March 8, 2019

The Secret Adversary - Agatha Christie

Originally published in 1922, The Secret Adversary is the first adventure for Tommy and Tuppence.  These characters show up in a total of 4 novels and a collection of short stories.  I've personally read a few of Christie's novels.  My favorite up to now is And Then There Were None.

Tommy and Tuppence have been friends since childhood.  They've met back up and form their own business called the Young Adventurers to try and earn some money.  They end up searching for a missing woman and a paper that could threaten the British government.

I liked this book a lot.  I loved the way the mystery was paced.  When Tommy's in danger, the reader knows he's in danger, but ends up reading about Tuppence.  The whole time, the reader worries about what's happened to Tommy. 

Many times, with a novel this old, it reads dated and a bit boring.  I was really impressed with this one.  Other than some phrasing that's definitely out of date, it was a real page-turner!  I loved the characters, and every time I thought I had the identity of Mr. Brown figured out, something would happen to make me doubt myself.  And that's the best kind of mystery novel.

This is listed as an Illustrated edition.  What this actually means is that there are pictures at the end, mostly revolving around Agatha Christie and her life.  I found them to be pretty interesting.  Definitely gets a Good Book! review.


No comments:

Post a Comment