A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, November 17, 2017

An Honest Heart (The Great Exhibition #2) - Kaye Dacus DTB

Being the church librarian, I see a lot of strange stuff get donated.  Old books that are falling apart, moldy books, journals that people should've looked at before donating (since they've filled them out), I've seen it all.

Every once in a while, I see a book that I myself wouldn't mind reading.  This is one of those.  The cover is gorgeous, and I'm interested in the Great Exhibition.  I've actually been struggling my way through a biography on Prince Albert (I struggle because nonfiction is hard for me to get through), and found the Great Exhibition to be one of the more interesting parts of his life.

I'd thought this was the first book I'd read by this author, but looking back, I was wrong.  I started this blog a little over 6 years ago, and shortly after that, I posted a review on Ransome's Crossing.  I didn't like that book, but apparently I'd also read Ransome's Honor and enjoyed it.

The first book in the series is Follow the Heart.  I recognized the names of the characters, but this definitely wasn't their story.  It's okay to read these separately, although you will learn more about Kate and what happens to her by reading this one.

Caddy has the attention of two men: the tall, secretive doctor and the confident gentleman.  Neal is hiding something from her, but Caddy is drawn to his heart and has the patience to wait for him to trust her.  She's wary of the attentions of Oliver, and she has every reason to be.  He's a cad and trying to gain her attention to win a bet.

It's clear who the reader is supposed to be rooting for from the beginning, so there isn't really any suspense about what's going to happen.  My main complaint is that the end was so abrupt.  Things just kind of ended, and when I looked, I was sad to see there weren't more books in the series.

On to the good.  I liked most of the characters and liked the way things turned out.  Even though it was predictable, I didn't mind it as much as I thought I would.  This was a sweet, clean romance that I enjoyed.  I picked up the first one, since I'd like to read more from this author.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment