A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Dragons of Autumn Twilight (Dragonlance Chronicles #1) - Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman - DTB

This was the book my younger daughter recommended for me.  Actually, both my daughters read this series, and the original paperback is old and didn't fare well going back and forth to school in both their backpacks.  I had to cover it in tape just to read it.  The original paperback belonged to my husband, printed in the 80s.

An unlikely band of heroes has agreed to come together five years after their last adventure. One of them doesn't show, and the rest return to a world changed.  Draconians (dragon-like people) and hobgoblins are taking over.  And something else is terrorizing the land that the heroes didn't even think existed: dragons.

Joining the group are two barbarians who have a strange staff with healing powers.  The group will attempt to figure out what their purpose is in the fight against the dragons and how to defeat the evil.  There's lots of magic spells, fantastical creatures and fighting.

From a writing perspective, I had to get used to the point of view changing all the time.  And it did. Once I got past that, it was a pretty good book.  There were moments that made me smile (mostly involving Tasslehoff), and times that actually tugged at my heart strings a bit. What I didn't expect was to find moments of truth scattered throughout the book.  I had the DTB version, so I didn't mark them, but here's one from the end:

"Still," the kender said softly, "we have to keep trying and hoping.  That's what's important - the trying and the hoping.  Maybe that's the most important of all."

We play lots of board games, and many of them have a fantasy theme, so I wasn't shocked that my girls liked these books.  I was just surprised that I liked it.  Will I read more of them? Probably not.  They're a little on the long side for me, but it was still a fun read.  I rate it a Good Book! on its own.

(In case you're wondering, a kender is similar to a halfling - Tasslehoff was a kender, a troublemaker and a great comedic character.)

The same cover as my paperback, but without the damage and creases!

No comments:

Post a Comment