A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

The Elusive Miss Ellison (A Legacy of Grace #1) - Carolyn Miller

This is the first book in the series.  The other two are The Captivating Lady Charlotte and The Dishonorable Miss DeLancey.

Nicholas never expected to take on the responsibilities of having a title.  But circumstances have thrown him into that position, and he learns early on that he's not doing good enough thanks to the outspoken Miss Ellison.  He already feels the guilt of his past weighing on him, and even though he tries to please Lavinia, she never seems satisfied.

Lavinia witnessed her mother's tragic death and blames Nicholas for being a part of it. She sees him and immediately makes assumptions about his character and takes it upon herself to be the one to change him.  She eventually learns to forgive him, but will she ever be able to trust him?

This starts out a bit like Pride and Prejudice.  You have the untitled young woman and the strikingly handsome titled gentleman who would never consider her suitable, even if her forthright manner is intriguing.  You even have the awkward visiting clergyman putting himself forward as a suitor.  But there are differences in there, and if you can get past the mini sermons, it's a pretty good book.

The heroines in the second and third book are introduced in this story, but there isn't much depth to them, making me lean toward saying you could read these alone or out of order and not feel like you're missing much.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment