A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Canteen Dreams (Cornhusker Dreams #1) - Cara Putnam

This is the first book in a WWII series.  The second book is called Sandhill Dreams, and the third is Captive Dreams.  These are older titles revived for Kindle.  The original series was called Nebraska Brides.

We start the day before the bombing of Pearl Harbor, when Audrey meets the man with chocolate eyes, Willard.  The bombing changes everything for both of them: Willard's brother is missing, and Audrey throws herself into helping out at the Canteen, where soldiers coming through the train station can get a drink and a quick bite before their train pulls back out.

Audrey and Willard have an on again off again kind of relationship, when they actually have one. A lot of the book seems to focus on them as individuals and what they're dealing with, and when they spend time together, they end up bickering and fighting.  I wasn't sure why these two were attracted to each other.

I wanted to like this one, the time period is one that I usually enjoy, but I felt like the book made Willard seem "selfish" for wanting to enlist and praising Audrey for backing away from her volunteer work.  I didn't think she had the wrong motives, she enjoyed the work and felt like she was making a difference..  I was also confused by their relationship.  I just didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped.


No comments:

Post a Comment