A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Epic - John Eldredge

I was tempted to use this book as my nonfiction title for my 2017 challenge, but since it's only 100 pages, I felt like that would be cheating.  Also, I have plans to read not one, but TWO more nonfiction titles this year.  We'll see if I can make it...

Epic is approaching life by putting it into different acts.  Act 1 is the "Once upon a time" aspect or in this case, in the beginning.  Act 2 is the entrance of the villain.  According to Eldredge, we're living in Act 3, the battle for the heart.  Act 4 is the "happily ever after" or when all things are restored.

Looking at life like a story is something that I can get on board with, because I LOVE stories.  Apparently, the author does too, because there are references to the Matrix, LoTR, Narnia, Paradise Lost, various Shakespeare plays, Apollo 13, and I could go on and on.  He also has a lot of Bible references in there as well to bring about his point.  We all have a role to play in God's epic tale.

This is a short book, and I didn't have any issues getting through it, even though nonfiction is not something I enjoy.  I did find it a bit distracting that he used SO many different examples from books and movies, but overall it was a decent read.


No comments:

Post a Comment