A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Watching the Dark (Inspector Banks #20) - Peter Robinson

I had the idea to read this author because I started watching DCI Banks on Netflix.  I noticed the show was based on books by this author, so I added him to my watch list on ereaderIQ and waited.  This was the first one that popped up at my price point, and it wasn't related to one of the episodes available to watch, so I picked it up.

Since this is book 20, I suspect I've missed a lot of Banks' personal life.  And by the events in his recent life that were referenced while reading the book, I'm pretty sure I'm right.  Even with that, I didn't have any issues keeping up with what was going on.

Banks is called out to the murder of a man who's been killed by a crossbow.  Since he's dealing with a cop, the case ends up making Banks work with Professional Services.  He's not happy about it, especially since his partner, Annie, is coming back after recovering from a serious injury.

As the case progresses, Banks discovers that this isn't just a murder investigation. There's also a missing girl, blackmail, immigrants who are being mistreated, and corruption. Banks believes the murder and the disappearance of the girl are connected, but he has some trouble getting others to agree with him.

Overall, I enjoyed this book.  It's a little on the long side, and like most books I read that are this length, it could have been shorter.  With it's length and the amount of twists and turns, it's no wonder that every case on the TV series is two episodes long!  I found that the length didn't bother me, though.  There is some minimal language and references to sex and rape in there.

For me personally, I liked the story.  Would I read more in the future?  Maybe.  The things that would prevent me are the length and the amount of detail that didn't necessarily need to be in there.  There's a lot of brand name dropping and Banks' style of music isn't something that I listen to, so all the details of what he was listening to (which pops up a lot) kinda lost me.  Even though I don't plan on reading more of these, I still want to give it a Good Book! review for a well written and thought out story.



No comments:

Post a Comment