A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Sanctuary - Ted Dekker

Let me start off by clarifying that this is a sequel to The Priest's Graveyard.  In it, you'll read how and why Danny ends up in prison.  This book wasn't really listed as part of a series, but I think it's nice to know these things ahead of time.

Danny has been transferred to a "special" prison called Basal.  In it, the inmates are called members and the warden is God.  Any slight infraction is dealt with swiftly and with great force.  The warden has made his own little sanctuary, but it's anything but for its prisoners.  He's also determined to break Danny by any means necessary, even through the suffering of others.

Renee is also dealing with her own version of hell.  When a severed finger is delivered and a threat made to Danny's life, she knows she will sacrifice anything to get to Danny. He saved her, so she will save him.  Enlisting the help of a former sheriff, she plays the game of a man she names "Sicko."  He asks her to do the impossible or Danny is dead.

This book is dark and disturbing.  The things both Danny and Renee have to endure are not a Saturday walk in the park.  Danny's tortures are horrifying.  I got wrapped up in wanting to see what would happen.  There seemed to be no possible way for the end to resolve to my liking, but I wasn't disappointed.

In theory, you could read this without reading The Priest's Graveyard.  There's enough details from Danny's past to make this a complete story on its own, but I think you'd understand Danny and Renee's characters much more fully if you read that one first.  The truths at the end about how everyone has their own prison had me tearing up.

For the subject matter and the darkness of the writing I give it 4 stars.  For the profound truths and excellent storytelling, it's easily a 5 star book. Just be warned that the darkness is there, but the light will push it back in the end as it always does.  Good Book!




No comments:

Post a Comment