A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, October 3, 2026

Black Storm - Thomas C. Hinkle

When I was at the used book store, I came across this book by accident. I was in the children's section looking for a copy of The Outsiders when I saw this unloved paperback on the shelf. I liked the cover, and the story sounded interesting.

Black Storm is a beautiful horse that won't let anyone ride him. He's terrified of anyone with spurs, and only Joe Bain is able to ride him. The horse has wonderful instincts and is smart. One night, Joe is attacked, and Black Storm is stolen.

I didn't read this book correctly. I did notice that the horse went through a lot on the back cover, but I wasn't prepared to read the author's note and discover the horse was real. After I got about 1/3 of the way through, I was starting to get uncomfortable. I was almost in tears when I decided I couldn't go any farther. 

From there, I skimmed to the part where Joe and Black Storm were reunited. Then, I skipped to the end and was almost going to have to throw the book across the room. But! It was safe at that point, and the paperback is intact. It wouldn't have been so bad if the author wasn't so good at his job. The details about Black Storm's injuries and scars from previous beatings were thorough.

Yeah, if you love horses and don't like reading about them being injured, sad and lonely, I wouldn't recommend this book. One of the things that bothers me most is the book is meant for children. My kids would never have forgiven me if I read this book to them. And I'd have to comfort them while they cried for 1/2 the book. Major pass for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment