A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, April 22, 2023

The Tower Treasure (The Hardy Boys #1) - Franklin W. Dixon/(Charles) Leslie McFarlane

I decided to read this because I wanted a break from my normal stuff, and I've never actually read a Hardy Boys book. We have a soft spot in our house for Nancy Drew, so I was interested to see what the "other side" was all about.

As a side note, I wanted to address the author. These books are written by numerous people (just like Carolyn Keene for Nancy Drew). I did a brief bit of research on this particular author, and he wasn't fond of writing these (per his son). He wrote them because he needed the money to feed his family during the Great Depression. I have to say, if this particular book was one of his "nuisance" attempts (even though it's technically before the Depression), I'd love to read something he wrote when he truly cared!

In this first adventure, Joe and Frank are trying to help a friend. A robbery at the Tower Mansion is pointing to the friend's father, and they're determined to help.

I was struck by the depth of feeling that I found in this book. The compassion the boys had for their friend, and the amount of times they addressed the matter was something I didn't expect. I enjoyed how they are just starting out, and they realize they're learning. They aren't automatically amazing and overlook things a seasoned detective would think of.

This was just a wholesome, old-fashioned, fun read. Sure, some of the language is a bit dated, but it was written in 1927. What do you expect? Even with that, I feel like it still held up well. I really did like this book and finished it in two sittings. It went into the public domain this year, so if you're interested, give the Hardy Boys a chance. This one's definitely a Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment