A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

The Yellow Letter - William Johnston

This is one of the books I had downloaded onto my Kindle for a trip, and I'm just now getting around to reading it. I'll warn readers right away that if you have any aversion to reading about suicide, steer clear of this book.

Harding Kent is trying to discover what happened to make his fiancé's sister try to kill herself. He enlists the help of this friend, a postal inspector named Davis. At first, the inspector doesn't want anything to do with the case. All Harding has is a yellow scrap of paper, but when a policeman shows up with more of the same yellow paper from another suicide, Davis is intrigued. Harding has an immediate suspect in mind, but Davis isn't as sure.

On the positive side, most of it was easy to read, and I did want to know what happened. It was short and didn't take me long to get through. But, there are some serious issues with the book that need to be addressed. First is the non-PC language. I understand it's a product of its time, but some of it made me cringe. Usually, I can get past that kind of language, but let me give you an example. Davis comments that criminals are all insane. They are a product of their parents, and their heads are misshapen. In the future, they will be able to have surgery to correct their heads and make them better...it just doesn't sit well.

Overall, I liked the first half a lot more than the second. It wasn't just the weird thoughts about criminals, either. The conclusion seemed to drag on forever for some reason. Davis is one of those "Sherlock" types that discern clues that no one else sees and then basically call everyone else stupid when they don't see it. Also, the "mastermind" was something of a disappointment. SPOILER: It's someone who doesn't show up anywhere else in the book. I hate that. I like mysteries where I feel like I am trying to solve the mystery while reading. It's a letdown when I find out I never had a chance.





No comments:

Post a Comment