A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, September 5, 2016

Melanie Dickerson's Wonderful Fairy Tale Lands

I love reading Dickerson's versions of fairy tales.  There's links between them that I love figuring out.  I've outlined the connections in the past, but with more books coming out all the time, I think it's time for the links to have their own post!  I try to keep up with the author, so I'll try to keep this post updated.

Glynval, England is the home of the le Wyse family.  Characters from this family include:
Colin (The Princess Spy).  Lord Ranulf (The Merchant's Daughter) is the father of Westley (The Silent Songbird).

Hagenheim, Germany is home of the Gerstenberg family.  Characters include:
Wilhelm and Rose (The Healer's Apprentice) are the parents of Valten (The Captive Bride), Gabe (The Fairest Beauty), Margaretha (The Princess Spy), Kirstyn (The Orphan's Wish), Wolfgang (The Warrior Maiden) and Steffan (The Piper's Pursuit).  Gerek (The Golden Braid) is a knight of Duke Wilhelm.  The last book in the Hagenheim series involves the youngest daughter Adela (The Peasant's Dream).

The official order of these books is: The Healer's Apprentice, The Merchant's Daughter, The Fairest Beauty, The Captive Maiden, The Princess Spy, The Golden Braid, The Silent Songbird, The Orphan's Wish, The Warrior Maiden, The Piper's Pursuit.

In her Medieval Fairy Tales series, Dickerson connects Odette and Jorgen (The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest) with Avelina and Reinhart (The Beautiful Pretender).  Jorgen is the chancellor and Reinhart is the Margrave.  Magdalen (The Noble Servant) is Avelina's close friend and is also mentioned in The Beautiful Pretender.

The Regency Spies of London series seems to be standing alone.  A Spy's Devotion is about Nicholas and Julia.  The second book, A Viscount's Proposal, is about Leorah, Nicholas's sister.  In A Dangerous Engagement, Felicity is friends with Julia and Leorah.  She's also seen Philip talking to Nicholas in the past.

*Updated January 13, 2020.

My own little princesses

No comments:

Post a Comment