A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, December 30, 2013

Snow on the Tulips - Liz Tolsma

This is a new author for me and I was drawn to the time period and the location.  I won't get into why I'm so fond of the WWII books, you can find my reasons in one of my Sarah Sundin reviews.

Gerrit has survived his own execution, but he is gravely wounded.  Searching for help, he knows that people's fear of the Nazi's could prevent anyone from assisting him.  He is part of the Dutch Resistance and will do everything he can to recover and get back to doing his part against the Germans.

Cornelia is hiding her brother from having to assist the Germans, but Gerrit's presence puts that in jeopardy.  There is only one hiding place in her house and it is reserved for her brother.  She's already lost her husband to the Nazi's and isn't willing to risk anyone else she loves.

As time passes and Gerrit gets stronger, Cornelia realizes that she is starting to care about Gerrit, but doesn't want to risk her heart again.  Even though she doesn't want to get involved, circumstances force her hand and she comes face to face with her fears.

This was a really good book.  The characters are based on a real story and I have a great respect for the author for taking a piece of history and memorializing it for future generations.  We take for granted the sacrifices made for our freedom, and the stories of WWII are fading fast.  Since this book takes place during the war, there is heartbreak and death.  It's not a happily ever after for every character we meet, but don't let that stop you from reading the book.

In May 2014, another book along the same lines, Daisies Are Forever, is due out.  It's about an American in Germany during WWII, but I can't find that it's listed as part of a series.  It's definitely on my watch list.  Snow on the Tulips is a great book and I recommend it.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment