A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Lucky Jack - S. (Sue) Bavey

After living for 106 years, you'd have a lot of stories. That's the premise for this book, which goes through the life of (Henry) Jack Rogers. Born at the end of the 1800s, he lived through the entirety of the 1900s, and passed away in April 2000, a few weeks after turning 106. 

Each chapter in this book has little sections which can be read in a few minutes. I was especially touched by the story of what happened when the prisoners at his POW camp were freed. The horror of the camp itself is acknowledged, but the amazing decision the prisoners made upon leaving was something that was truly uplifting. There's so many other great little stories that I just can't mention them all.

The book is technically written by Jack's granddaughter, but it's from Jack's perspective, and it feels that way. She knew him well, and if someone needed to tell his story, I believe she was a good one to do it. According to the info on Amazon, she had access to all his newspaper articles, and she also found scrapbooks her mother had kept about Jack.

This book is incredibly easy to read. You have five minutes? You have time for an anecdote. It felt like I was sitting down with my grandfather listening to his stories. Not my specific grandfather, mind you, but you know what I mean. It's a conversational kind of writing where you feel like you're sitting with the person telling the story. It's much more personal that way, and I enjoyed that writing style a lot. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment