A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

The Amethyst Cross - Fergus Hume

I chose this book at random from the list of advertisements in the back of one of the other books I've read recently.

Lesbia loves George. She wants to give him a token of her love, but when her father sees the amethyst cross, trouble begins. George is attacked, and the cross goes missing. For much of the book, I was wondering the significance of the cross, and I kept reading to solve that mystery. I wasn't very invested in the characters themselves.

I had a few issues with the book. One of them is a spoiler, but something was more acceptable at the time it was written than it is now, making one of the major reveals slightly uncomfortable. My main issue with the book is the overly dramatic nature of the characters, particularly the women. And I wasn't a fan of comments like, "she wanted a man to master her as all women do" and "it takes a woman to fathom the duplicity of another woman." 

This is one of those books that didn't stand the test of time as well as some of the others I've read. Written in 1908, it shows its age in a number of ways. The details of the plot became unnecessarily overcomplicated in my opinion, and I just didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped.



No comments:

Post a Comment