A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

The Jewel of His Heart (Heart of the West #2) - Maggie Brendan - DTB

With everything going on, I decided to search my bookshelves for something to read. A lot of the books I have on my shelves, I can tell someone exactly why it's there and what stuck out to me. This one was a bit different. I read the back of it, but I couldn't remember it.

Juliana is having a tough time. Her life seems to be going the wrong way, and she's forced to take charity. She's determined to take care of herself and gets a job.

Josh is a shepherd, but he's found some sapphires on his property. With the opportunity to make money as a miner, he has to consider what he wants to do with his life. He's also lonely, and he wants a wife. Juliana may be young, but he can't stop thinking about her.

This book was okay, but something about it didn't grab my attention. It took me a long time to get through it, and I skimmed a lot of the end. I think there wasn't enough conflict for me. I liked the writing style, and I really liked some of the characters. The problem is, my favorite characters were minor characters. Juliana and Josh were fine, but I liked characters like Andy, Nellie, Wes and Marion more. Wes is in the third book for sure, so there's more of him.

I guess, in the end, I don't know why it's on my shelf. It was a nice story, but my tastes have moved in a different direction since I read this the first time. The good thing is, I'm the church librarian, and the book has found a new home.


No comments:

Post a Comment