A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Sunday, March 15, 2020

A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor #1) - Kristi Ann Hunter


This is the first book in the series.  The other two are called A Return of Devotion and A Pursuit of Home.  I don't think I've read anything by this author before, but her name sounds familiar for some reason.  Regardless, I was looking for something to read, and this caught my eye.  I read it through my Amazon Prime membership.

After I started reading this book, I liked the writing style and characters and looked a bit deeper into the series.  There's a novella called A Search for Refuge, which is free.  Normally, I'd read that first, but I'd already started the book.  It's next in line on my read list.

Kit has spent years trying to make up for her past.  She's taking care of children that are the results of aristocratic indiscretions.  It takes money to do that, however, and her methods have earned her the nickname The Governess.  It's not a compliment, but she'll do whatever it takes to care for the children.

Graham is helping search for his friend's missing sister.  While following a lead, he comes upon Haven Manor and Kit's secret.  There's more going on here than Kit is willing to reveal, but Graham is intrigued and wants to find answers.

I think my favorite part of this book was the characters.  They had depth, and I cared about them.  The supporting characters were just as interesting as the main ones.   The remaining books in the series cover the other two women from Haven Manor, and I was a bit bummed to not see Graham's friend, Aaron.  Maybe there's some blurb in one of them about him, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd like to read the other two, but it doesn't look like the prices drop on them very often.  I'll keep my eyes open, though, and hope for the best.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment