A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Dancing into Battle (Belgravia #1) - Julian Fellowes

This was originally part of a serial, but you can actually buy the whole book now.  Julian Fellowes is known for his brilliance in writing Downton Abbey, and I thought I'd give this a chance.

This installment is pretty short.  A merchant known as the Magician has climbed his way into society and gotten invitations to the Duchess' ball.  While there, the merchant's wife is concerned about her daughter's attachment to a man far above their station.  Napoleon escapes Elba and things change.

Knowing Fellowes is a screenplay writer made me understand his approach a little more, but I had to pay too much attention to what was going on.  Point of view would change from one person to another and then back with no warning or transition.  I don't like books that make me work to keep track of what's going on.  This didn't draw me in, and I didn't sympathize with the characters.

If you're interested in Belgravia, I recommend reading this first.  It's short and that way you can try out the author's writing style to see if it's something you'll enjoy.  I wanted to like this, but I couldn't get into it.


No comments:

Post a Comment