A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, May 22, 2015

Scattered Petals (Texas Dreams #2) - Amanda Cabot

This is the second book in the Texas Dreams series.  The first one is Paper Dreams.

Priscilla and her parents are on their way to Texas to attend a wedding.  Even though she started her journey as an adventure, Priscilla ends her trip with a stagecoach holdup that takes the lives of both her parents and one of the bandits raping her.  She's saved by a kind Texas Ranger who makes sure she makes it to her destination.  She's struggling with her new life and finding out she's pregnant just makes her life more complicated.

Zach works on the ranch where Priscilla is trying to recuperate.  Unfortunately, he looks like one of her attackers, and she keeps her distance.  Zach's heart is hurting as well, and he doesn't wish to make her life more difficult.  When he finds out that she's pregnant, he offers to marry her knowing he may never have a real marriage with her.  They don't realize it, but they need each other to heal.

With the way this book started out, I was afraid it wouldn't be able to recover from the pain and sadness to a point where I could say that I liked the book, but I was pleasantly surprised.  Normally, a book that begins with murder and rape wouldn't be something I'd be able to read, but this one was different.  The events weren't graphic and they were dealt with in a way that didn't make the story too depressing.

Sarah and Clay from the first book are in there, and many references are made to the events in the first book.  Even though I hadn't read Paper Roses in a few years, I was able to follow the story easily.  For this reason, I believe it's safe to read these out of order.

The third book in the series, Tomorrow's Garden, is about Lawrence, the Texas Ranger from this book and a woman named Harriet.  With only Lawrence having a minor role in this book and Harriet a new character, it's pretty safe to say that the series is safely read out of order.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment