A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Moonlight Masquerade (London Encounters #1) - Ruth Axtell

This is my first read by this author.  I have seen her books pop up on my recommendations more than once and was glad to finally give her a chance.  This Regency romance is set in 1813 England.

Celine escaped from France, but lost her father and lands.  While she has been able to make a life for herself in England, she has been doing what she can to help shape France into what she hopes it can be once Napoleon is ousted.  When her butler has an accident, his replacement raises her suspicions.  Could he have been sent to spy on her?

Rees may not be the best candidate for a spy.  Celine suspects him pretty early on, and the more he gets to know her, the more drawn he is to the woman.  He finds that he is more interested in protecting her than being patriotic to his country.  When her life is in danger, will he choose to help her or betray her to his country?

I was a fan of this book for the most part, but the end really dragged on for me.  Once we get resolution to the main problem, there was just way too much explanation and randomness for my taste.  It ends in a weird way and then you have to read the epilogue for things to get wrapped up.

The next book in this series is called A Heart's Rebellion and is due out February 25, 2014.  It follows the story of Jessamine, a minor character in this book.  Due to the minimal interactions between Jessamine and the main characters in this book, it seems a safe bet that it would be okay to read these out of order.  All in all, a decent read, but I'm not sure that I'll be on the lookout for more books by this author.


No comments:

Post a Comment