A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, February 10, 2012

Megan's Hero (Callahans of Texas #3) - Sharon Gillenwater

I paid for this book, but I had read the first two Jenna's Cowboy (#1) and Emily's Chance (#2) and had enjoyed them both.  This one still popped up under my $5 limit, so I didn't feel bad picking it up.

In this book, we finally get to find out what happens with Will.  He feels like a fifth wheel since both his brother and sister have found love.  Cripes, even his friend, Dalton, is getting ready to get married!  He hasn't had much luck with the girls in town.  He had his eye on Emily until he found out that his brother Chance had decided she would eventually be his wife.

Enter Megan Smith.  She's poor, homeless and pregnant.  On her way to Austin, she encounters a tornado and is saved by a small ditch.  Coming from a family of criminals, she figures that this is God's work and decides that she's going to do whatever it takes to find out what He wants from her.

Soon after the tornado, Will drives near the touchdown to check on the cattle and fences.  Finding Megan trudging up the road to find help for an injured trucker, Will is instantly drawn to Megan.  Her past prevents her from trusting or becoming attached to people, even good people like the Callahans who give her lodging and a job.  She tries to conceal her past because she thinks that she'll be kicked out if she were discovered.

Overall, I thought this book had a little more fluff to it than the others.  It was still a good book, but the story wasn't as engaging as some of the others.  Long explanations of shopping trips and baking took away from some of the other important moments.  I did appreciate the epilogue at the end that checked in on everyone about six years later.  I'm going to have to say that my favorite book in the series was Jenna's Cowboy.  I just want to comment and say that the covers of these books were not really appealing to me.  Good thing I didn't judge the books by their covers!  All things considered, a good series, not one of my very favorites, but worth the read.  Good Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment